Krohn Bros, Madeira
The company was started by Nicholai Krohn in 1859 as N. Krohn. Later, about 1863, his brother Wilhelm joined Nicholai and the company's name was changed to Krohn Bros. The company were purveyors of Madeira wine to Imperial Russia and also supplied wine to England. Krohn Bros became one of the major suppliers of Madeira wine. It appears that the company stopped doing business in the late 1970s and most of the descendants of the founding brothers now live in England.
Two Norwegians founded Wiese & Krohn in 1865 to export Port wine to Scandinavia and Germany. Later, Theodor Wiese sold his shares in the company to Dankert Krohn but the company continued to do business under the name of Wiese & Krohn. The company prospered. In the 1920s, the descendants of Dankert Krohn sold their shares and the company became entirely Portuguese owned. Wiese and Krohn are still purveyors of Port wine and have a Web site at Wiese & Krohn